Would you like to help disabled people develop the skills and knowledge to live independently? My Life is a new programme to empower people to make their own choices and look after their health and happiness. The sessions teach practical skills like how to cook and eat healthily, social responsibility and how to access benefits.
We need volunteers to join classes at either our training centre in Clapham Junction or our satellite site in Brixton. You’ll engage with students and help them build confidence and progress towards their goals. This is a great opportunity for someone interested in a career in occupational therapy or support work. If you have any experience in information, advice and guidance or supported living, that would be great, but it isn’t essential. The most important thing is a belief in empowering disabled adults to live the life they choose.
Share is a registered charity and a centre for training and wellbeing. We provide a range of programmes helping adults with learning disabilities, autism and other support needs become more happy, healthy and independent. Our vision is a world where disabled people are fully included in society, living the life they choose.
Our ideal volunteer:
- Has a strong commitment to the inclusion of disabled people in all aspects of life
- Is friendly, patient and approachable
- Is reliable and punctual
- Has good listening skills
- Is able to get on well with people from a variety of backgrounds
If you have any experience of teaching, that would be a bonus, but it’s not essential. Our students welcome volunteers into their lessons with open arms, you’ll get a real buzz from doing such a rewarding role!
We can guarantee that the right people will have a wonderful experience working in our friendly community. In return for giving up your time for us, you can expect:
- A warm welcome into our organisation
- A comprehensive induction
- On-going support from staff
- An opportunity to develop new skills and add to your CV
- Reimbursement of travel expenses
- Free lunch and refreshments
- Access to our volunteer forum
- A genuine opportunity to make a difference
You can find out what it's like to volunteer at Share.
How to apply
Complete our online application form.
If you'd like to have a chat about the role or if you have any questions, we would love to hear from you. You can contact us via email email@example.com or telephone 020 7924 2949.