Help people with learning disabilities gain employability skills
People with learning disabilities have a right to work, yet only 6% of adults with a learning disability known to their local authority in England are in paid employment. (NHS Digital 2018).
We run Steps into Employment, a programme to prepare adults with learning disabilities for the world of work. We help people identify the skills needed for different jobs, learn how to search and apply for jobs, understand expected behaviours in the workplace, and learn about interview skills.
We need volunteers to join our classes on Tuesdays or Wednesdays at our training site in Brixton - or on Thursdays at our site in Clapham Junction. You’ll engage with our students, support them on their learning journeys and help our Job Coach deliver the sessions.
Share is a registered charity and a centre for training and wellbeing. We provide a range of programmes helping adults with learning disabilities, autism and other support needs become more happy, healthy and independent. Our vision is a world where disabled people are fully included in society, living the life they choose.
Our ideal volunteer:
- Is adaptable, imaginative, and ready for a challenge
- Has professional experience that you’re keen to share
- Has a strong commitment to the inclusion of disabled people in all aspects of life
- Is friendly, patient and approachable
- Is reliable and punctual
- Has good listening skills
- Is able to get on well with people from a variety of backgrounds
If you’ve experience of working in or accessing Job Centres, that would be a bonus but isn’t essential.
We can guarantee that the right people will have a wonderful experience working in our friendly community. In return for giving up your time for us, you can expect:
- A warm welcome into our organisation
- A comprehensive induction
- On-going support from staff
- An opportunity to develop new skills and add to your CV
- Reimbursement of travel expenses
- Free lunch and refreshments
- Access to our volunteer forum
- A genuine opportunity to make a difference
Find out what it's like to volunteer at Share.
How to apply
Complete our online application form.
If you'd like to have a chat about the role or if you have any questions, we would love to hear from you. You can contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 020 7924 2949.